BU Cosmetic & Laser Center
Laser Procedures – StarLux® Laser by Palomar
- StarLux® Laser for Stretch Marks
- StarLux® Laser for Hair Reduction
- StarLux® Laser for Acne and Other Scars
- StarLux® Laser for Photorejuvenation
- Hair Reduction Treatment Photos, Before and After
For Permanent Hair Reduction
Our state-of-the art StarLux® laser system uses a simple FDA approved approach for permanent hair reduction. The StarLux® works by targeting the pigment inside the unwanted hair follicle. Your provider will move the "self-cooling" hand-piece over your skin while pulses of intense light focus on the unwanted hair follicles, heating the pigment deep inside the hair and disabling the cell mechanism responsible for growing new hair. The StarLux® pulsed light technology is like a laser, but with a larger, smooth beam, and a long pulse for safe, fast, and comfortable treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions About Permanent Hair Reduction
with the StarLux® Laser:
- What body parts are typically treated with the StarLux® hair reduction system?
The StarLux® uses a unique long pulse-width that delivers energy to the skin to create permanent hair reduction for men and women on the face (except around eyes), back, chest, shoulders, arms, underarms, bikini lines, legs, abdomen, hands, and feet.
- Am I a good candidate for StarLux® laser hair reduction?
The StarLux® targets only hair follicle pigments so it is safe and effective for almost any skin type and hair color. Your provider will determine if you are a good candidate for StarLux® laser hair removal during your consultation. It is necessary to evaluate the body part being treated for a variety of factors.
- How many treatments will I need with the StarLux® laser for permanent hair reduction?
Permanent hair reduction technology can only affect hair in active phases of growth so several short treatment sessions, spaced at 4 to 6 week intervals, result in the best aesthetic outcome. You do not need to let hair grow out between treatment sessions.
- What will the StarLux® laser treatment feel like?
A flashing light, an audible tone, and a mild sensation similar to a rubber band being snapped on the skin will make you aware of an active treatment. Most people report any sensations they feel during treatment are not painful.
- How quickly will I recover after hair removal treatment with the StarLux® laser?
You can resume regular daily activities immediately following treatment. Typically, most people experience a mild, sunburn-like sensation, possibly accompanied by some minor swelling, immediately after the treatment. This usually lasts two to 24 hours. Your provider will discuss other possible side effects with you during your consultation.