Education — Residency Program
Boston Medical Center has a long and proud history of taking care of the underserved of Boston. Since the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program was originally accredited in 1953, it has had a strong reputation for fulfilling this mission while providing strong clinical training for decades of program graduates.
Boston Medical Center was created by the formal merger of Boston City Hospital and Boston University Medical Center Hospital in 1996. Boston Medical Center remains one of the rare successful public-private hospital mergers in the United States.
In 2003, Boston Medical Center directed resources and focus to improve the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Since 2003, the faculty has expanded significantly, with the addition of many experienced and talented scholars who hold a true commitment to education, who believe in providing outstanding care to the underserved, and who are strong advocates for public health in the community and abroad.
Since the 1996 merger, deliveries have increased from 1583 in 1997 to 2500 in 2011. Gynecological surgery volume has also increased from 842 cases in 2004 to 1100 in 2011. The hospital has dedicated precious resources to transforming our physical space in order to optimize safety and patient satisfaction.
As a result, the academic productivity of our faculty and residents has increased exponentially. We attract top-level medical students to our residency and our residents have been able to match into well-regarded sub-specialty fellowships. In addition, we have attracted a significant number of talented medical students from the Boston University School of Medicine to Obstetrics and Gynecology as their specialty.
We have evolved into a clinically excellent program with a sharp focus on education, physician advocacy, and dedication to improving the health of women both locally and globally.