Philanthropy — Alpert Endowment
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Does the senior faculty mentor need to be a BMC staff or would a Children's Hospital Boston mentor be acceptable?
The mentor can be from Children's.
2. Can Alpert funds be used to pay faculty?
3. Can Alpert funds be used for travel expenses?
4. Can any of the grant money be used to pay a research assistant?
Yes, but when paying research assistants you need to be aware there are options and restrictions as to what you can do. Most options for paying research assistants include a fringe rate that is charged to your award.
Alternatively, Boston University students are eligible for employment as research assistants.
5. Can incentives be given to research study participants?
Yes, this can be part of the award, but please work out all arrangements with Meagan Wyllie before you do anything. BU has a policy that you must follow when providing incentives. You must keep a log (Alpert Petty Cash Log) of all incentives that are handed out along with the signature of the participants.
6. How soon can I start my project if I receive an Alpert Award?
IRB approval (if applicable) is required before funds will be released.
7. How can I donate to the Alpert Fund?
To make a donation online, please visit
https://www.bu.edu/alumni-forms/forms/busm/index.html. Next to "I would like my gift to benefit (select one):", select The Joel and Barbara Alpert Fund for Children of the City.
If you prefer to mail your gift, please send it to:
Boston University School of Medicine
Office of Development
72 East Concord Street, L-219
Boston, MA 02118
Please contact Meagan Wyllie at 617.414.2574 with further questions.
Last Updated: January 8, 2014