Meet the Team
Your health care team is a group of highly trained experts who will work together to provide state-of-the-art care. The thoracic surgery team that will care for you includes professionals from several disciplines and specialties. Some of those who will participate in your care are:
- Thoracic surgeons. Your thoracic surgeon will perform your surgery and be in charge of your care.
- Thoracic surgery nurse practitioners. A nurse practitioner will serve as a coordinator between you, your thoracic surgeon and other health care providers to help ensure you receive the best possible care.
- Thoracic surgery administrative assistant. He or she will arrange your appointments and diagnostic tests and send communications from your surgeon to your primary care physician and your other health care providers.
- Thoracic surgery fellows, residents and physicians assistants. The thoracic surgery team will work together with your surgeon and the nurse practitioner to manage your care in the hospital. You will see members of the team throughout the day during your hospitalization.
- Anesthesiologists. The anesthesiologist is the doctor who gives you the medications that allow you to sleep during the operation. You will have a scheduled appointment with an anesthesia physician before your surgery to discuss your medical history and review the anesthesia medications.
- Pulmonary physicians. Pulmonary physicians are specialists in lung disease and will be involved in your care, as needed, before and after surgery.
- Registered nurses. Nurses will provide nursing care during your surgery and hospital stay, and will care for you during all phases of your hospitalization.
- Care managers. Care managers will be involved in assessing your needs for when you leave the hospital. They will make arrangements if you need placement in a rehabilitation facility, the services of visiting nurses at home, physical therapy or home medical equipment.
- Physical therapists. Physical therapists will work with you after your surgery to help you get up and walking about safely.