Services – Voice Screening
Your Voice Matters!
About the Voice Screening Program at BMC
The Voice Treatment Program at Boston Medical Center specializes in state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic services to individuals of all ages who present with a variety of voice disorders. Our patients include professional and non-professional singers, speakers, teachers, clergy, attorneys, salespeople, actors, elected officials, cheerleaders, coaches or any individual experiencing a vocal pathology.
Performers generally look upon vocal problems with dread. There are few things worse than having to walk on stage with the fear of your voice not functioning properly. A routine examination of the voice box by a voice care team can often make the difference between a successful show and a canceled one.
The time to see a doctor is when you first suspect something is wrong, long before a minor issue becomes a major one. Singers know when they're having problems. The important thing is to be proactive at the first sign of a problem and not to wait until further damage is done.
Go to Top ^
Why Attend Voice Screening?
Are you a professional voice user? If you rely on your voice for your livelihood, then you’re a professional voice user. Get results whenever you use your voice and make sure your vocal abilities are optimized by taking care of it!
- Are you experiencing a voice problem?
- Is your voice problem affecting your personal or professional life?
- Do you feel as though your voice gets “tired” or “strained” after prolonged talking?
- Do you often lose your voice?
- Do you have trouble projecting your voice?
- Has your voice been hoarse, raspy, or breathy for more than 3 weeks?
- Do you experience reduced vocal range; inability to sing at length; recurring laryngitis; a tonal change from a clear voice to one that is breathy, raspy, squeaky, foggy or rough; repeated throat clearing; pain in or around the larynx; the sensation or a foreign substance or lump in the throat; recurring throat soreness; tickling/burning sensation, tension or tightness in the throat; and/or the feeling that talking or singing is an effort?
If so, please visit Boston Medical Center on April 30, 2014 from 4-7 PM for a FREE voice screening!
Go to Top ^
The Benefits of a Voice Screening
- Determine the presence of a potential laryngeal pathology.
- Determine a singer or actor’s risk for throat problems prior to their performance or before beginning voice lessons.
- Provide you with a baseline image of your healthy larynx – use this as a source of comparison if you experience voice problems in the future.
For example, many lyric sopranos have tiny baseline vocal fold nodules, which may be NORMAL. A picture of your larynx under normal conditions would be vital when seeing a new doctor.
- Receive education on the normal functioning of the larynx to understand how the voice works, how to control it, and to prolong and enhance your career as a professional voice user.
- Identify habits for optimal vocal use to help you meet the demands of your lifestyle.
Go to Top ^
Your Free Voice Screening on April TBD Includes:
- A review of your voice history to identify any potential problems.
- Visualization of the larynx with a small endoscope (camera) that is passed (painlessly) through the nose. This is optional for the squeamish, but the most objective way to look at the vocal cords.
- A DVD of an image of your larynx is available by request
- 1-hour workshop entitled: "Understanding and Maintaining a Healthy Voice"
Take advantage of this opportunity open to the public to get a FREE voice screening (a procedure that can cost up to $1,000).
No appointment is necessary and screenings are done on a walk-in basis. For more information call 617.638.7933.