Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the hours of the Women's Health Group?
- Where are you located?
- Where do I park?
- Do I need to cancel an appointment if I cannot make it?
- What can I expect if I am late to my appointment?
- How do I get an interpreter?
- How can I contact a nurse?
- What do I do if my doctor is away and I have a question?
- Can I see a different doctor in the office if my doctor is away?
- What are the hours of operation for the BMC Pharmacy?
- How do I get a prescription refill?
- How can I get copies of my medical records?
- How do I get a referral for a specialist?
- Do I need a referral to be seen at the Breast Health Center?
1. What are the hours of the Women's Health Group?
We are open Monday thru Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm and Saturday & Sunday, 8 am to 4:30 pm. However, someone is always available to answer calls after hours and take your message, 24/7, a physician is also oncall. Call 617.414.5951.
Boston Medical Center
Women’s Health Group
Shapiro Ambulatory Care Center
725 Albany Street, 5th Floor, Suite 5A, Boston, MA 02118
4. Do I need to cancel an appointment if I cannot make it?
As a courtesy to your medical team and to other patients, if you are unable to keep your appointment, you need to contact the office to cancel and reschedule the appointment. That canceled appointment slot will be offered to another patient. If a patient misses more than three appointments in a six-month period without calling to cancel, they may be told to obtain their heath care elsewhere.
The nurse can be contacted by calling 617.414.5951.
8. What do I do if my doctor is away and I have a question?
If your physician is out of the office it is important that you speak to the nurse about your concern. Call the nurse at 617.414.5951. The nurse will work with a covering physician who will manage your care in your doctor’s absence.
- Doctors Office Building (DOB) at 720 Harrison Avenue
- Yawkey Ambulatory Care Center (YACC) at 850 Harrison Avenue
- BMC Pharmacy hours and days of operation including directions
11. How do I get a prescription refill?
Contact the Women's Health Group Prescription Line at 617.414.5951 and leave your full name, date of birth, your primary care physician's name, name of medication and dosage, and the name and telephone number of your pharmacy. Prescription requests are processed within 48 hours.
14. Do I need a referral to be seen at the Breast Health Center?
If you have health insurance you will need a referral from your primary care provider or your Ob/gyn, in order to be seen at the Breast Health Center.
If you do not have insurance you can call 617.414.5029 to find out if you qualify for free care or 800.792.4355 to inquire about Mass Health or low cost insurance through BMC HealthNet Plan. You may also qualify for a FREE mammogram and breast exam through the Women's Health Network. For more information call 617.414.1818.