Home Care Program
Established in 1875, the Geriatrics Home Care Program at BMC is the oldest continuously operating in-home medical service in the United States. For more than a century we have delivered care to those patients who are unable to leave their homes for treatment. Patients in the Home Care Program are seen by a team comprising a physician and a nurse case manager.
To qualify for our Home Care Program, you must:
- be 70 years of age or older;
- be homebound and live in the City of Boston;
- choose a Boston Medical Center Geriatrics Services physician as your primary care doctor;
- choose Boston Medical Center should you require hospitalization or specialty care.
In addition to being seen in your own home, there are other advantages of being enrolled in the Home Care Program:
- Your interdisciplinary team will work closely with you, your family and other care services to maintain your health and independence at home.
- We will help you obtain and coordinate home care services as well as specialty services that will visit you in your home including ophthalmology, podiatry, psychiatry, hearing services and other.
- Your care team will be personally involved in any care you might receive at Boston Medical Center, thus insuring continuity in your treatment.
Please view our video on intercultural care in BMC's Geriatrics Home Care Program